Steve Biko Academic Hospital
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is a purely tertiary healthcare institution, rendering specialized and highly specialized services to medically referred patients..
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is a purely tertiary healthcare institution, rendering specialized and highly specialized services to medically referred patients. It is a referral hospital in that patients are referred to the institution by their local clinics
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is situated about 800 meters directly north of the Tshwane District Hospital. The main access to the hospital is off Steve Biko Road left at the traffic light into Malan Street.
South Africa’s healthcare system is structured in 5 layers, namely:
- Primary Healthcare (Clinics)
- District hospitals; Regional hospitals
- Tertiary (Academic) hospitals and
- Central (Academic) hospitals.
This structure was developed in order to address cost effective healthcare to all citizens (on appropriate level) to ensure a Better Health for All
- State-of-the-art medical equipment to the total value of R442million has been procured for the new hospital, including an MRI Scanner, two 64-Slice CT Scanners, totally digital radiology, Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS), etc.
- Only teaching hospital in South Africa that accommodates the hospital and University Clinical Department’s offices in one building.
- Operating Theatres, ICU’s, X-rays and associated wards are on same floor. Operating theatre patients are therefore not dependant on lift transport.
- Largest cook/chill kitchen in South Africa.
- Compact design - only six entrances.
- 832 beds; 53 ICU beds; 21 High Care beds; 61 Observation places; 108 Beds in the Oncology Complex; 21 Operating theatres (19 active); 19 Lifts and 80 Consulting rooms.
- Computed Tomography (PET-CT) scanner